PESTS BEGIN TO INVADE HOMES AS FALL APPROACHES
The fall season is known to many as the time of year when the leaves change, the air becomes crisp and the nights grow longer. But, it is also a peak time for pests to make their way indoors seeking food, shelter and warmth. Homeowners are likely to experience Increased pest activity inside the home as the seasons change.
During the fall months, smaller pests including spiders, cockroaches, ladybugs and rodents search for a place to take refuge from the cold winter ahead – and houses are a great option. Unfortunately, these pests usually multiply fast, leading to a greater infestation and pest problem. They can damage homes and can even become a danger to our health.
Experts at Johnson Pest Control and the National Pest Management Association, a nonprofit organization committed to the protection of public health, food and property from household pests, recommend the following tips to keep pests at bay this fall:
- Seal cracks and crevices on the outside of the home with caulk.
- Install door sweeps on exterior doors and repair damaged screens.
- Replace loose mortar and weather stripping around the basement foundation and windows.
- Screen vents and openings to chimneys.
- Store food in airtight containers and dispose of garbage regularly in sealed receptacles.
- Eliminate all moisture sites, including leaking pipes and clogged drains.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and keep shrubbery well trimmed.
We also encourage homeowners to always be on the lookout for tell tale signs of a pest infestation. If you find rodent feces, hear sounds of scurrying in the walls or observe gnaw marks on wires, it’s best to contact a pest professional to inspect and treat the potential problem.
For more information on fall pests and how to protect your home contact Johnson Pest Control at 865-453-7587.
Pests Begin To Invade Homes As Fall Approaches in Sevierville TN
Serving Knoxville TN since 1984