Almost all property owners will deal with ants at some point. These tiny insects are notorious for spreading quickly, and they can be extremely difficult to get rid of without the help of an expert. Some types of ants are more destructive or dangerous than others, including fire ants and carpenter ants. To avoid having to deal with an ant infestation in the first place, it’s important to learn what you can do to prevent them in your home!
How to Prevent Ants
As with all pests, the best pest control is prevention! Ant colonies spread quickly and it takes time to get rid of them completely. Luckily, there are a number of ways you can decrease your chance of dealing with the frustration of an ant infestation. To keep ants out of your home, here are 3 ant prevention tips:
- Get rid of standing water and excess moisture.
- Fix broken or leaking pipes.
- Use a dehumidifier in basements and crawl spaces.
- Ensure downspouts and gutters are functioning properly.
- Eliminate their food sources
- Keep your kitchen clean and free of crumbs.
- Wipe down counters and sweep floors regularly.
- Store any food in airtight containers, and keep ripe fruit in the refrigerator.
- Use a lid on trash cans and dispose of garbage regularly.
- Seal any entry points into your property.
- Routinely check the perimeter of your home for entry points and seal them.
- Double-check that your windows and doors don’t have cracks, or install screens to help keep pests out.
Need a Pest Control Estimate?
We'll call you! Leave your information below.
Does DIY Ant Control Work?
It makes sense that people would like to use DIY or all-natural methods to get rid of ants. However, DIY or natural products simply cannot control an ant infestation. When it comes to preventing ants, on the other hand, there are a number of methods that may prove helpful in keeping ants away. Planting mint around the perimeter of your home, using a vinegar and water spray solution, or spreading diatomaceous earth, ground cinnamon, cayenne pepper, or black pepper around your home may help repel ants. The bottom line, all-natural ant control will not work to treat an active infestation—making it important to enlist the help of an ant control expert.
Reliable Ant Extermination
Left untreated, ant infestations can go on for ages and get worse quickly. Getting rid of a colony and making sure ants don’t return requires the expertise of a professional pest control company. The expert ant exterminators at Johnson Pest Control use state-of-the-art methods to control ants in your property and will help protect you from future ant problems. Contact us today to get more ant prevention tips or to schedule a FREE estimate!Back to Ant Control – Exterminators – Removal
Ant Prevention Tips in Sevierville TN
Serving Sevier County and surrounding areas since 1984