Bed bugs are tiny insects that are infamous for infesting homes and hotels alike. It’s easy to understand why they’re dreaded: bed bugs feed on the blood of their human hosts at night! These bugs are also incredibly difficult to get rid of without the help from a bed bugs exterminator. Johnson Pest Control is proud to provide effective bed bug removal and extermination.
Frequently Asked Questions About Bed Bugs
Bed bugs are small pests. Adults are only about 5 mm long and 3 mm wide. Their bodies are oval-shaped and mostly flat unless they’ve just fed Bed bugs are dark brown in color, but appear more red after feeding. Bed bug nymphs, on the other hand, are only 1-4 mm in length and pale in color. This makes them especially difficult to see.
Yes, bed bugs are infamous for their bites. These pests survive off of blood meals and will feed on their hosts for 3-12 minutes. These bites may cause a few mild symptoms, but they are not considered dangerous for your health. Bed bug bites are not known to spread any dangerous diseases.
Bed bug bites are often confused for other bug bites, but there are a few things that set them apart:
- Bed bug bites most often occur on parts of the body that are most exposed during sleep, such as the arms and legs.
- Bites typically appear in a pattern, such as a straight line or zigzag lines.
- A bite can cause a number of symptoms from red, itchy marks to more swollen areas. More serious symptoms are rare*.
*If experiencing severe symptoms similar to an allergic reaction, seek immediate help from your doctor.
Bed bugs live in groups and typically inhabit locations where people sleep or rest for extended periods of time. Beds are of course the main hiding spot for bed bugs, but they are also found in upholstered furniture, wooden furniture, cracks or crevices in the wall, headboards, and even in power outlets.
Anyone and everyone can get a bed bug infestation. Bed bug infestations often start when people travel. People that visit high risk areas such as hotels, schools, dorms, office buildings and movie theaters are prone to an infestation.
If you think you have bed bugs, there are a few places to inspect:
- Use a flashlight and check around beds, bed frames, mattresses and box springs.
- Inspect areas for live bed bugs, which are often gathered together.
- Look for the main signs of bed bug activity, including dark spots and blood stains on sheets.
- If you see anything suspicious, call a bed bug exterminator for a thorough inspection.
Bed bugs can not be treated with at-home or DIY attempts. It’s important to get the best bed bug treatment options. At Johnson Pest Control, our bed bug treatment strategy focuses on exterminating bed bugs utilizing conventional application methods, as well as bed bug heat treatments that eradicate bed bugs in infested areas.
Because bed bug infestations often start when the bugs hitch a ride on luggage, bedding, furniture, boxes and clothing, there are several ways you can prevent an infestation:
- Before buying secondhand furniture or items, always check for the signs of bed bugs. This is especially important for upholstered items.
- When traveling, do not set luggage down on bed or furniture, until you have inspected bedding, mattresses, curtains and headboard. Take precautions upon returning home as well.
- Use a protective cover that encases mattresses and box springs to get rid of a main hiding spot.
Bed Bug Identification
Signs of Bed Bugs
Bed Bug Treatment Options
Keeping Bed Bugs Away
Prevent Bed Bugs While Traveling
Commercial Bed Bug Inspections
PROTECT+ System for Bed Bugs
When to Call a Bed Bug Exterminator
Have a Bed Bug problem? We can help!
How Bed Bug Extermination Works
To keep bed bugs from spreading, it’s important to know the early signs of an infestation. Bed bugs hide in mattresses, baseboards, upholstered furniture, and even in light switches or power outlets. They are nocturnal and thus usually only seen at night, which is when they will emerge to feed. Seeing bites on your skin is the biggest indicator that you need bed bug pest control services.
Professional Bed Bug Removal
If you suspect bed bugs in your home, the first step is to receive a thorough inspection. At Johnson, we are proud to offer thorough inspections as the first step of our bed bug removal process. Once we’ve located bed bugs inside your home or business, we will implement bed bug control methods including a combination of EPA approved products and steam to the infested areas.
Bed Bug Pest Control & Prevention
Bed bugs can easily spread, and infestations often begin after traveling. In addition to keeping a clean and tidy home, there are a number of ways to prevent bed bugs:
- Store clothes in vacuum-sealed bags
- Always use a mattress cover
- Inspect old items of furniture before bringing them indoors
- Exercise caution while traveling and inspect your suitcase
- Work with bed bug exterminators to prevent infestations
Industry-Leading Bed Bugs Exterminator
Getting rid of bed bugs on your own is simply not an option. DIY or all-natural bed bug control never provides long-term relief. At Johnson Pest Control, we will use the pest control industry’s top methods for controlling and removing bed bugs. To stay bed bug-free for good, call our bed bug exterminators today!
Ready for your free bed bug control quote?
We'll get back to you within 24 hours.
Bed Bug Exterminators – Control – Removal in Sevierville TN
Serving Sevier County and surrounding areas since 1984