Whether you’re going on a business trip or a long-awaited vacation, you likely have a lot of things on your to-do list to prepare. Besides packing your suitcase, booking your tickets, and reserving your accommodations, what else is there to do? In the last decade alone, the number of bed bug infestations tied to traveling has increased exponentially.
Because bed bug problems are known to start after returning from a trip, it’s important to know how to prevent bed bugs while traveling!
Why Do Hotels Have Bed Bugs?
You may think that only motels and cheaper hotels experience bed bug problems, but that’s simply not the case. Even the most luxurious can suffer from bed bug problems when proper prevention isn’t practiced. Because countless people from around the world check-in and out of hotels on a daily basis, pest problems are sometimes unavoidable. As soon as you begin researching hotels to stay in for a trip, it’s crucial to read the reviews to make note of any complaints of bed bugs or other pests.
Need a Pest Control Estimate?
We'll call you! Leave your information below.
Bed Bug Travel Tips
Even when you don’t read any bad reviews complaining of bed bugs, you still can never be too cautious. A few of the most effective ways you can avoid bed bugs while traveling include:
- Properly pack your suitcase.
- Use a suitcase with a hard casing/shell.
- Wrap all clothing and fabric items in plastic bags.
- Inspect the hotel room when you arrive.
- Pull back the bedsheets and look between the mattress and box springs for bed bugs.
- Look for signs of eggs, feces, or skin that has been shed.
- Store your luggage off the ground.
- Always place luggage on suitcase racks or on top of dressers.
- Be cautious when unpacking.
- Wash and dry all of your clothing in a hot water wash after your trip.
- Thoroughly vacuum or steam-clean your suitcase before you store it.
Preventing Bed Bugs After Traveling
Even when you practice caution while traveling, it’s still possible to get a bed bug infestation after a trip. The moment you suspect bed bugs in your home, it’s time to call in a professional bed bug exterminator. The bed bug removal team at Johnson Pest Control knows how to control bed bugs in your home as well as keep them from returning—call us for a free consultation today!Back to Bed Bug Control – Exterminators – Removal
Prevent Bed Bugs While Traveling in Sevierville TN
Serving Sevier County and surrounding areas since 1984