What Are the Signs of a Termite Infestation?
Termites live within a structure, infesting and weakening the property. Due to their secretive behavior, they are rarely seen. For this reason, it’s important to know the signs of termites: discarded wings, damaged wood, mud tubes, frass (droppings), and swarming termites.
Termite damage may not be detected until serious damage has been done. This makes it critical to regularly inspect your property throughout the year for signs of termite activity:
- Damaged hollowed-out wood
- Shed wings
- Peeling or bubbling paint
- Mud tubes around the foundation of homes
- Termite droppings (frass)
- Blisters in wood floors
- Small holes in drywall
How to Look for Signs of Termites In Your Home
Unless you see termite swarmers, you will seldom see actual termites, as all their activity is carried out within a structure. To determine the presence of termites, it’s important to look for both the physical evidence termites leave behind, and evidence of damage caused within your home or business. Here’s what to look for:
- Termite signs. When termites are living within a structure, they will leave behind signs of the presence with their droppings (also known as frass). Frass can look like sawdust or sand, and is brown to black in color. Also keep an eye out for termite wings that are often shed in piles, as well as swarming termites (which are often confused for flying ants).
- Structural damage. If you notice warped, sagging ceilings, holes in your walls, mud tubes or cracks near the home’s foundation, blisters in wood floors, or peeling paint on walls, you may have termites. If you knock on any wood to be infested and hear a hollow noise in return, you very likely have termites.
Do You Have a Termite Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less..
Other Termite Signs in Eastern Tennessee
A secretive and persistent wood-destroying pest, termites are feared as their activity can go on unnoticed for years before being discovered. A professional termite expert is knowledgable and knows exactly what signs to look for when determining the presence of an active infestation. It is recommended to have your property regularly inspected for termite activity.
What are the signs of a termite infestation? in Sevierville TN
Serving Sevier County and surrounding areas since 1984