Protect Your Home From Termites
Termite prevention tips for homeowners
Believe it or not, spring is just around the corner and as temperatures slowly begin to increase across the country, so will the potential for termite swarms. Now is the time for homeowners to take proactive steps to protect their homes from this aggressive pest species in the coming months.
Termites eat wood around the clock, so they can cause significant damage to the structure of a home in a relatively short period of time, as a result, it’s important for homeowners to perform yearly inspections and routine maintenance to help stave off a potential termite infestation.
There are many stepsyou can take to protect your greatest investments from termites.
- Carefully inspect the perimeter of the home for mud tubes (used by termites to reach a food source), cracked or bubbling paint and rotting wood.
- Repair fascia, soffits and rotted roof shingles. Some termites are drawn to deteriorating wood.
- Keep basements, attics and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
- Maintain a one-inch gap between soil and wood portions of the home.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and 5 inches up off the ground, and inspect it closely before bringing it indoors.
- Divert water away from the property through properly functioning downspouts, gutters and splash blocks.
A pest professional will be able to properly identify the termite species and recommend an appropriate course of action.
For more information on termites or tp schedule a termite inspections call 865-453-7587.
Protect Your Home From Termites in Sevierville TN
Serving Sevier County and surrounding areas since 1984