DON’T LET PESTS RUIN HOLIDAY BAKING FUN
Cookie exchanges and baking marathons are a fun part of the holiday season for many families. But when breaking out the ingredients and pie pans, beware of uninvited pests that many be infesting household items.
Pantry pests, also known as stored product pests, tend to gather around food stored in pantries and can quickly become a nuisance to homeowners during the holidays. Beetles, earwigs, pillbugs, stink bugs and weevils are all considered pantry pests, but the most common species is the Indian meal moth. Fortunately, these small moths do not pose serious threats to our health and property.
“Pantry pests are often found near a variety of household items from flour and dry cereals to spices and potpourri. Over time, these pests can infest baking products and contaminate food, so it’s important to practice caution and keep them from putting a damper on the baking fun.
To ensure a pest-free holiday season try following these tips:
- Immediately wipe up any crumbs or spills from countertops, tables, floors and shelves.
- Add a bay leaf to canisters and packages of dry goods like flour, rice and other grains – the pungent scent repels many pantry pests.
- Store food in airtight containers and dispose of garbage regularly in sealed receptacles.
- Only purchase food in sealed packages that show no sign of damage.
- Check expiration dates on baking ingredients before use.
- Install door sweeps on exterior doors and repair damaged screens.
- Eliminate all moisture sites, including leaking pipes and clogged drains.
For more information on pantry pests and how to maintain a pest-free home, call Johnson Pest Control at 865-453-7587.
Don’t Let Pests Ruin Holiday Baking Fun in Sevierville TN
Serving Knoxville TN since 1984