The fall season brings with it warmer homes that will have pests seeking ways to move indoors and hunker down for the colder months ahead. Mice, rats, cockroaches and spiders are most likely to be lurking nearby in search of points of entry. From asthma and allergies triggered by cockroaches, to salmonella and food contamination caused by rodents, there are a number of serious health risks associated with fall pests. Critters like mice and rats can chew through electrical wiring, among other destructive habits, possibly causing a house fire. These potential implications from a pest infestation should be taken seriously, and with consistent pest-proofing, homeowners can help protect themselves against these dangers.
Following are a few pest-proofing steps homeowners can take in the fall to help protect their home:
- Screen attic vents and openings to chimneys.
- Eliminate moisture sites, including leaking pipes and clogged drains.
- Seal cracks and crevices on the outside of the home using caulk and steel wool. Pay close attention to where utility pipes enter the structure.
- Store food in airtight containers and dispose of garbage regularly in sealed receptacles.
- Replace loose mortar and weather stripping around the basement foundation and windows.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house, and keep shrubbery well trimmed.
- Install door sweeps and repair damaged screens.
- Inspect items such as boxes of decorations and grocery bags before bringing them indoors.
If you suspect a pest infestation, give us a call at 865-453-7587 to schedule a free pest inspection.
Fall Weather Brings Pests Indoors in Sevierville TN
Serving Sevier County and surrounding areas since 1984