PREVENT SUMMER PESTS FROM RUINING OUTDOOR FESTIVITES
Johnson Pest Control shares tips on how to keep pests from disrupting picnics or BBQs
July, 27, 2012 – They may not be on the guest list, but many pests including ants, flies, mosquitoes and other stinging insects are likely to disrupt outdoor festivities this summer. Johnson Pest Control, a pest management company servicing Knoxville, Sevierville, Maryville and East Tennessee, encourages partygoers to take precautions to prevent pests from putting a damper on summer fun.
There is nothing more bothersome than trying to enjoy a delicious plate of BBQ fare while a buzzing bug is flying around your food. Unfortunately, plenty of pests are attracted to our food, so they tend to frequent our outdoor cookouts, but there are ways to prevent these uninvited guests from crashing the party.
The National Pest Management Association, a nonprofit organization committed to the protection of public health, food and property from household pests, offers these tips to help pests from ruining your summer gathering:
- Prior to the party, check screen doors and repair any holes.
- Remove sources of standing water in your yard, including birdbaths, wading pools or garden ponds.
- Have insect repellant containing an EPA-registered active ingredient like DEET or Picaridin available for you and your guests.
- Adorn your deck or patio with citronella candles that can help minimize the presence of mosquitoes.
- With guests coming in and out of your house, make sure the doors close behind them.
- Plan to serve food and beverages indoors, and reserve outdoor space for eating and entertaining.
- Keep food sealed in containers whenever possible, and wipe tabletops frequently.
- Clean trash, spills and crumbs immediately from tables and other surfaces.
- Bring utensils and dishware indoors shortly after the meal.
- Rinse all beverage bottles and cans, and dispose of them in tightly closed garbage containers.
If pests become intolerable, you may have a larger problem and need professional assistance. Sometimes, pest pressure can get out of hand. For example, if homeowners notice large mounds of ants or stinging insect nests around the property, they’ll want to contact a pest control professional to help them safely remove these infestations as they can be a threat to our safety.
For more information or to speak with a pest a professional about common summer pests, visit www.johnsonpestcontrol.com/contact or call 865-453-7587.