Opossums are generally harmless, but they can become aggressive if threatened. These creatures are always looking for food and shelter, which is why they may attempt to invade your home. Opossums are known to be attracted to fruit trees, insects in your garden, garbage cans, and even pet food you may leave outdoors. As these animals can be unpredictable, it’s best to hire a professional who can trap and remove them safely. At Johnson Pest Control, our licensed and trained wildlife control experts know the best methods for trapping opossums safely and effectively.
What to Know About Trapping Opossums
Opossums are one of the most unique wild animals in our region. They are both nocturnal and solitary, meaning it’s rare you’ll see a group of these animals midday. They are omnivorous and tend to go after human food just as raccoons do. They will attempt to come indoors or beneath your deck in cold weather or when breeding. Here’s what to know about dealing with opossums on your property:
- When an opossum feels threatened, its nervous system shuts down—known as “playing dead”.
- Opossums may emit a very foul-smelling fluid, similar to a skunk’s spray, in order to defend itself.
- They will feed on your crop of vegetables in your garden and trample all over your plants. They even have a reputation for getting into chicken coops.
- Opossums also carry fleas, ticks, and mites that could be hazardous to your health, and the health of any pets on your property.
- They can cause structural damage to the inside or outside of your property as they attempt to find a place to nest.
Need a Pest Control Estimate?
We'll call you! Leave your information below.
How to Get Rid of Opossums Safely
The key to keeping opossums away is to learn how to prevent them in the first place. If you’ve noticed opossums in or near your home, it’s important to not attempt to remove them yourself. Like other wild animals, opossums can be unpredictable and may display aggression if threatened. For the safety of you and your family, it’s best to contact a professional. At Johnson Pest Control, we provide humane opossum trapping and removal through safe and effective methods. We also will identify the vulnerabilities on your property that may lead to future infestations.
Keep Opossums Away in Eastern Tennessee
It can be dangerous for both you and the animal to attempt to get rid of opossums on your own. Our team will work hard when trapping opossums in a way that is safe and effective for all involved. Contact our wildlife control team today to keep your property safe from opossums all year long!Back to Wildlife Trapping Service
Opossum Trapping & Removal in Sevierville TN
Serving Sevier County and surrounding areas since 1984