If you are spending more time in your backyard than ever this year, you’re likely noticing just how many pests are outdoors! Especially in the late summer months here in Sevierville, insects are out in full-force. Unfortunately, they can quickly put a damper on your outdoor plans. Whether you’re spending time barbecuing outdoors at night, or your kids are playing on a swing set, it’s important to know how to keep pests away from your outdoor living space.
Insects & Pests in the Backyard
Your backyard can be a haven for many pests and insects, especially this time of year. Whether you’re dealing with mosquitoes infesting your birdbath or ants surrounding your outdoor dining set, pests are at full-force. The most common pests you’ll encounter in your yard are stinging insects (bees, wasps, and hornets), ants, spiders, mosquitoes, ticks, fleas, flies, and more. Any of these can be a nuisance to deal with, but mosquitoes and ticks are especially dangerous to be in your yard.
Need to Keep Pests Out of Your Backyard?
8 Ways to Prevent Pests in Your Outdoor Living Area
No one wants pests infesting their outdoor living areas. While it can be hard to avoid pests when spending time outdoors, there are a few things you can to do help steer them away from your property. Our top tips are:
- Apply an insect repellent. Any repellent with DEET will help repel mosquitoes and ticks.
- Get rid of standing water. Mosquitoes only need a half inch of standing water to breed.
- Keep your lawn and shrubs trimmed. Overgrown grass or vegetation provides mosquitoes and ticks with shelter.
- Inspect your yard for ant hills. Even a tiny mound can contain thousands of ants inside.
- Inspect wood structures. Your deck or porch may be vulnerable to termite or carpenter bee activity.
- Clean your patio or space regularly. Crumbs or spilled liquids will attract ants and other insects.
- Light up some citronella candles. While not a long-term solution, this will repel mosquitoes during outdoor activities.
- Consider replacing your light bulbs. Yellow bulbs or sodium vapor lights will not attract as many insects as bright light bulbs do.
Professional Outdoor Pest Prevention
If you have endless pests in your backyard, it’s best to contact your local exterminator. An expert can pinpoint areas of your yard that may be conducive to pest problems as well as help you prevent them! The team at Johnson is happy to help–contact us today!
How to Be Pest-Free in Your Backyard in Sevierville TN
Serving Sevier County and surrounding areas since 1984