For the most part, cockroaches are common year-round. But if there was a “cockroach season”, it would be the summertime! Especially here in Tennessee, warmer temperatures this time of year draw cockroaches out and into homes. They are attracted to warmth and humidity, which is why they frequent bathrooms or kitchens. This feared pest isn’t just a nuisance–they’re dangerous, too! It’s important to know what you can do to prevent summertime cockroach activity in your Sevierville home or business. Read on for expert info from the cockroach control team at Johnson Pest Control.
How Can I Prevent Cockroaches in the Summer?
No one wants to deal with summertime roaches, which is why it’s so important to learn what you can do to keep them out of your property. A few of our top tips to prevent cockroaches this summer include:
- Inspecting the perimeter of your home and seal cracks and crevices. Seal windows and doors or install screens.
- Keeping a clean kitchen and bathroom. Wipe or clean up any spills or messes ASAP.
- Picking up pet food bowls after mealtimes. Try to avoid leaving food out overnight.
- Securely storing all food in tight-fitting airtight containers, and refrigerating unsealed food.
- Ensuring your garbage cans are sealed with a tight-fitting lid, and routinely take it out.
- Avoiding leaving piles of clutter or junk both inside and outside of your property.
- Promptly fixing any leaky pipes or clogged rain gutters to avoid moisture problems.
Are Cockroaches Only Summer Pests?
Cockroaches are a year-round pest in Tennessee. That said, the summer months are when they are most likely to be active. Almost all cockroach species are known to be drawn toward warm or even damp environments. This is why they are most commonly seen in bathrooms, kitchens, basements, and crawl spaces. This is also why they are more likely to infest homes in the summertime. A lot of cockroaches will be less active in the winter to wait out the warming temperatures during the summer months. For this reason, roach infestations are one of the most common pest problems we get calls for in the summer.
How to Get Rid of Summer Cockroaches
Seeing just one roach in your home or business can be a bad sign that there are many more hidden elsewhere. Because of the germs and bacteria they spread—as well as the allergies they can cause—it’s important to always enlist the help of a professional cockroach exterminator. The experts at Johnson can keep you cockroach-free in the summer and all year long.
The Rise of Summertime Cockroach Activity in Sevierville TN
Serving Sevier County and surrounding areas since 1984