A CHILL IN THE AIR SENDS PESTS INDOORS
Johnson Pest Control reminds homeowners to be vigilant of pests during the colder months.
As temperatures across the country continue to fall, homeowners may soon be joined indoors by unwelcome guests. Be warned that pests including ants, spiders and rodents are looking for a warm refuge from the upcoming winter months.
Many pests have trouble adapting to the colder weather, so the change in seasons forces them to become opportunistic and search for a safe haven indoors . Unfortunately, our homes act as the perfect refuge for pests because they have access to shelter, food and water throughout the winter.
Experts at the National Pest Management Association, a nonprofit organization committed to the protection of public health, food and property from household pests, recommend the following tips to keep these pests outdoors where they belong:
- Seal cracks and crevices on the outside of the home with caulk. Pay special attention to areas where utilities and pipes enter the home.
- Install door sweeps on exterior doors and repair damaged screens.
- Replace loose mortar and weather stripping around the basement foundation and windows.
- Screen vents and openings to chimneys.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and keep shrubbery well trimmed.
- Consider partnering with a licensed pest professional to identify pest problems and recommend an appropriate course of treatment.
We also encourage homeowners to eliminate all moisture sites, as some pests such as termites and carpenter ants are specifically attracted to this element. Once inside, both of these pests can cause extensive damage to homes.
For more information on fall pests and how to protect your home, contact Johnson Pest Control at 865-453-7587.
Prevent Pests From Invading Your Home To Escape Cooler Weather in Sevierville TN
Serving Sevier County and surrounding areas since 1984