Summer is in full swing and many people are hitting the road and embarking on trips. As you check into your hotel or motel be sure to be on the lookout for bed bugs.
A recent study conducted by the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) found that bed bug infestations are on the rise in many places. In fact, 80% of pest professionals surveyed had treated bed bug infestations in hotels/motels in 2011.
Bed bugs can be found in places that people typically frequent during vacations, such as hotels and travelers can be more susceptible to encountering bed bugs and can unknowingly bring them home which leads to a full blown infestation.
Follow the following steps while traveling to remain bed bug-free on vacation:
- Thoroughly inspect the entire hotel room before unpacking and settling in, including behind the headboard and around the bottom of other furniture.
- Pull back the hotel bed sheets and inspect the mattress seams, particularly the corners, for telltale spots or stains.
- If any pests are spotted, notify management and change rooms immediately. Be sure your new room is not adjacent to the possibly infested room.
- Use a large plastic trash bag or a protective cover to store your luggage during your hotel stay.
- When you return home, inspect and vacuum your suitcases thoroughly before bringing them into the house. Consider using a garment hand steamer to steam your luggage, which will kill any bed bugs.
- Wash all your clothes – even the items not worn – in hot water.
DON’T LET BED BUGS RUIN YOUR SUMMER GETAWAY in Sevierville TN
Serving Knoxville TN since 1984