Rodents and spiders can cause more than just a scare for homeowners
Ghosts, goblins and witches won’t be the only creatures trying to spook homeowners this Halloween. Homeowners should be on the lookout for real-life ghoulish pests lurking around neighborhoods, including rodents and spiders.
As the temperature continues to drop, many of these creepy critters will seek respite from the winter chill – often within the confines our homes. Once inside, rodents and other pests can do more than just provide their fair share of scares. They are capable of contaminating food, spreading disease and posing a threat to our property.
Rodents can spread Salmonella and Hantavirus and create fire hazards by gnawing through electrical wires in the home, and some species of spiders can administer a painful bite when disturbed.
To keep these pests from haunting the house this Halloween, the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) recommends the following tips:
- Seal any cracks or crevices with caulk and steel wool. Pay special attention to holes in the structure that lead to dark secluded areas, like attics and belfries.
- Screen attic vents and openings to chimneys.
- Install door sweeps on exterior doors and repair damaged screens.
- Eliminate sources of moisture, especially in crawl spaces and basements
- Inspect items such as boxes, grocery bags and other packages brought into the home.
- Store food in airtight containers and dispose of garbage regularly.
For more information on common household pests and how to protect your home call Johnson Pest Control at 865-453-7587.
Keep Pests From Haunting Your House This Halloween in Sevierville TN
Serving Sevier County and surrounding areas since 1984