Most property owners have dealt with ants at one point or another. As the number one nuisance pest in the United States, it’s important to learn what you can do to keep ants away from your home. During the summertime, ant infestations spike in properties throughout the Sevierville TN area. To avoid the frustration of an ant infestation this summer, there are a number of things you can do to keep them from getting indoors in the first place. The team at Johnson Pest Control knows how frustrating these pests can be, which is why our experts are sharing the best ways to prevent ants this summer.
6 Tips to Prevent Ants in the Summertime
If you’ve had ants before, you likely never want to go through the frustration of getting another infestation! Ants typically make their way inside to seek out sources of food or shelter. Once indoors, they can spread quickly! Thankfully, there are several things you can do to lessen their chance of getting indoors in the first place:
- Keep a clean home. Sweep your floors regularly to get rid of crumbs. Ants are attracted to sugary food sources and a few crumbs will keep them coming back for more.
- Store food properly. Avoid leaving food out uncovered. Keep food in airtight containers or store them safely in cupboards and fridges.
- Seal entry points. Ants can crawl through the tiniest of cracks. Inspect your property and use caulk to seal any gaps, holes, or potential entry ways.
- Avoid excess moisture. Areas with standing water or leaks will attract ants quickly. Attend to broken pipes and clean up spills quickly.
- Trim back trees and vegetation. Plants close to your home can encourage ants to come in. Make sure tree branches, shrubs, and bushes are trimmed away from the perimeter!
- Pick up your pet’s food. Crumbs and spills from your cat or dog’s food and water bowls can be a huge attractant for ants. Always clean up and store bowls between mealtimes.
Having Trouble Keeping Ants Out?
Common Ants in the Summer
There are several types of ants that cause homeowners a lot of grief this time of year. With over 700 species of ants in the nation, it’s easy to get these pests confused with one another. That said, it’s important to know what you’re up against when you have an infestation. A few of the most common types of ants you’ll likely encounter in our area are odorous house ants, carpenter ants, fire ants, and pavement ants. For help identifying them, it’s always recommended to enlist the help of a professional.
What to Do When You Have Ants
If you’ve done all you can to prevent ants but still have trouble keeping them out, it’s time to call a professional ant control company. The ant exterminators at Johnson have the years of experience needed to keep ants out of your property for good!
6 Ways to Prevent Ants This Summer in Sevierville TN
Serving Sevier County and surrounding areas since 1984